By Correne Martin
If you’ve ever slipped a dollar bill into a red kettle around the holidays and wondered how your donation was used, rest assured that 90 percent of the money raised each year in Prairie du Chien assists local people in need of emergency lodging, rent, utilities, gas, groceries, hygiene supplies, meals, prescriptions, clothing and more. The other 10 percent helps those passing through with similar needs.
In 2013, $14,000 was raised strictly through the Salvation Army’s local kettle campaign at the bell ringing stations of Zinkle’s Piggly Wiggly and Walmart in Prairie du Chien, at kettles around the city and through mailed donations. Since 2002, the campaign has raised around $100,000, and every dollar has been spent locally to help individuals and families in need.
Each year, the red kettle campaign occurs the last 10 days of November through Christmas Eve. This year’s bell ringers will start Friday, Nov. 21.