It’s now fall, which means it’s time for the very popular event, Visiting Our Ancestors, a tour of Prairie du Chien’s six historic cemeteries, sponsored by the Prairie du Chien Historical Society.
On Saturday, Oct. 3, there will be a guided tour of the six cemeteries, beginning at 1 p.m., at the Fort Crawford Museum, 717 South Beaumont Rd. Participants should gather at the museum, where they will board vans to travel to the cemeteries, beginning with the Old French Cemetery and ending at the Brisbois Cemetery high above on the bluffs. At each cemetery, the costumed host of the tour will give a short history of the burying grounds and then she will introduce the resident.
The French Catholic Cemetery is the oldest cemetery still in existence in the State of Wisconsin and may be the oldest cemetery in the upper Mississippi Valley. Few of the graves are marked but much is known about the people who are buried there beginning in 1816.