The Prairie du Chien Common Council approved its proposed 2014 budget at the council meeting Tuesday night, leaving the tax levy increase at 1.5 percent. The council also set a date for a public hearing to be Tuesday, Dec. 3, at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers. Earlier in the evening, the finance committee recommended the final changes to the budget:
1) An additional contribution to the Chamber of Commerce of $2,500 to provide additional funds for the 2014 fireworks presentation. This would bring the city’s contribution level to the amount requested by the Chamber ($4,000).
2) An additional contribution to the Prairie du Chien Economic Development Corporation of $3,750. This would bring the total contribution to $7,500 to fund a re-use study for the current Prairie du Chien Memorial Hospital site.
3) An additional contribution to the Ft. Crawford Museum of $500. This would bring the city’s total contribution to $3,500.
4) Four protective plate carriers for the police department costing $784 total.
5) Four level four rifle graded plates for the police department costing $1,392 total.
6) A purchase of one set of turnout gear for the fire department costing $2,000.