“Ole Nell” to be fired to mark July 4

On July 4, at 10 a.m., members of the McGregor and Marquette Legion and AMVETPosts will fire the old civil war cannon located on the riverfront in McGregor. “Ole Nell,” as it is sometimes referred to was named after the daughter of General Ulysses S. Grant, Nellie Grant. It was built in 1858, restored and rededicated on July 5, 2002, and in recent years has been fired on the Fourth of July in observance of Independence Day.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet